This weekend I went on a trip to see my best friend's wedding in California. I bought my tickets, made tons of plans, and packed everything a girl could possibly need for a week, even though the trip was only 2 days.

The first flight was an hour and a half late getting off the ground which meant we were going to miss our connection by 10 minutes. I proceeded to have the most stressful 2 hour and 15 minute flight of my life, holding back the tears. There were at least 5 others on the flight who were making the connection in Phoenix to California and I was there just praying that they would hold the plane for us. I kept checking the flight status and it was delayed so we had a chance! We had 4 minutes to get off the plane. This was an emergency!

When the plane was rolling in to the gate I jumped up, grabbed my things and pushed my way through people to the doors. As I got out at the top of the gate I saw the doors to my connecting flight were closed. I looked out the window and the plane was still there. I ran over and as I did the plane started backing away from the portal. And so I watched my place fly away... without me on it.

I lost it. Yes, this is my sanity blog. But in this moment, I lost my sanity. The tears that had threatened me the past two hours spilled over uncontrollably. Inconsolable, I went to the desk and received a new ticket for 5 hours later and a momentarily useless voucher and turned away before the man could give a pitiful, "sorry for the delay." I must have been the most pathetic sight: a girl in her 20s weeping unceasingly in the middle of a crowded airport, but that was me today. A few people offered me sympathetic glances or nervous smiles and others stared blatantly wondering what could be so horrible. I went to the bathroom and tried to dab at my running makeup in the mirror which helped, but there was no hiding my bloodshot eyes. The lady at the sink next to me asked if I was okay to which I gave a tearful yeah then started crying again. So pathetic, I know.

You'll be happy to know that I did make it to California. I was able to change flights and get there three hours later than planned but two hours earlier than the flight they gave us at the gate, which was a blessing.  I again had my sanity in a little box, but that didn't stop my eyes from stinging the whole way there.

Comments

Popular Posts